Although there are no vitamins or supplements to “cure” chronic pain there is increasing research showing some vitamins and supplements may ease pain for some individuals and for some types of pain. I have summarized the research below.
- Fish Oil (2-4 grams of DHA + EPA/day) – major anti-inflammatory and helps with all types of pain
- Magnesium Citrate – helps with muscle spasms and weakness
- Vitamin D – numerous studies have shown Vitamin D reduces pain
- MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) – naturally occurring compound in some plants and animals, which has been shown in some preliminary research to reduce osteoarthritis pain.
- Glucosamine Sulfate – mostly used for arthritis pain.
- Turmeric/Curcumin – lowers enzymes linked to inflammation.
Please remember to review any vitamins and supplements with your doctor before taking them!