I use affirmations, on a daily basis, to deal with my pain. I seriously couldn’t function without them. In a pain flare-up they prevent me from entering a spiral of negative thoughts that in the past led to depression and even suicidal thoughts. Sometimes I only have to repeat the affirmations a couple of times, while other times I have to read them over and over throughout the day. They have helped me make it through another moment, another hour, another day. I even keep a copy typed up on my IPhone in my notepad app. I can’t tell you how many times I have reached for my phone and read through them forcing myself to try and believe what they are telling me. Affirmations make you focus, make you stay positive and ground you in reality. Otherwise our mind can get taken over by pain demons that are determined to rob one of hope, peace and will.
I hope you will find these affirmations helpful. Feel free to edit them or even just use them as inspiration to make your own. That is the thing, affirmations have to mean something to you, they have to be tailored to your situation. Only you know the messages that you need to hear when you are faced with a bout of pain. Following are the messages I repeat:
- I am aware I have pain but I observe it with detachment.
- This flare-up will pass…it always does.
- I breathe calm and relaxation into the pain.
- I only focus on the here and now. I am not going to worry about how long the flare-up will last.
- I am handling this flare-up calmly and positively.
- I am patiently handling this flare-up.
- I am grateful for the few things I can do despite the flare-up.
- During this flare-up I focus on taking one moment at a time.
- I will make it through this flare-up. The pain will subside. My mobility will increase.